Friday, March 4, 2016

What'cha Dhowing?




Week ending March 4, 2016

This week ends with me on an adventure... actually, no it never ends.. the adventure continues and I love it!  I had another exciting week as the SHE Manager, what's not to love about managing a SHE department?!!! (SHE:  Safety, Health and Environment)
At the moment I am 2000 km away from my work in Jizan Saudi Arabia and find myself in Doha, Qatar where I have come with my friend and co-worker Ricardo Santos, a Portuguese National, with whom I travel in and out of Saudi to have our visas stamped every 30 days.  We flew from Abha which is about 2 1/2 hours northeast of Jizan and arrived late Thurday which is the capital of the wealthiest (per capita) of all nations on earth. Not unlike Dubai with its exorbitant shops, architecturally stunning sky scrapers and more Porsches, Lamborghinis and Feraris than you can shake a stick at.  We are staying at the Hilton and enjoyed a day on the beach as well as a couple of trips to the local market which is known as Souk Waqif.




We travelled high into the mountains and up on to a flat plateau to the city of Abha...

The view awaiting us at the Hilton Doha...




"Bird Street" in Souk Waqif

Wooden Dhows on the waterfront...

Yours truly... a Grizzled Canadian...


Note the bathroom facilities aft of the main salon...

Can I keep it?!!!




Doha's skyline from the southern bayside.  Out Hilton is on the right of the skyline...

A Barracuda I spotted from the Corniche (Doha's famous esplanade)

A fish I picked up from a local fishermen's bucket...





Back at the Hilton for some sun...



..and a Pina Colada...


Back at the Souk (There wasn't much open til after noon prayers...)

The Gold Souk... We haggled endlessly for an exquisite 18 gram 21 carat bracelet, though it exceeded the maximum on my visa... cash only!

Falcons by the dozen...




Crepes of Doha (Delicious!)



Nothing like some baby camel in a Moroccan style rooftop restaurant...

...and some Moroccan tea (Sweet mint)...


Baby camel (tasted like elk!)

...and the wonderfully relaxing flavor of a mixed shisha after dinner...





Portable coffee...