Thursday, November 22, 2012

Redenção

 
 
Redenção - Pará, Brazil
Thursday November 22, 2012
 
Today, myself and three of my amigos had to fly to the City of Redenção a few hundred miles south east of Ourilandia, to pay some fines and get our work visas stamped. Brazilian law requires a visit to the local Federal Police within 30 days of starting work, to prove you are where you said you would be.  In our case, we were too busy working to go and even when we could, the feds were on strike.
 
Redenção is Portuguese for Redemption, and so, as we walked around town we all hummed the Bob Marley song:

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fullfil the book.

Won't you help to sing
This songs of freedom-
'Cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs.


A few random pics:

Our Plane to Redencao




A "Pastelle"







The other day I was riding down the street when I caught the eye of a young boy watching my bicycle go by.  A few blocks later I parked and went into the local Super Mercado and when I came out, the boy and his family were gatherered around the front of the store and the kid was sitting on my bike.

 
They were from a group of the local indians, probably from the Kayapo tribe.  His father and I spoke for several minutes and I have given them my word that the boy can have my bike when I leave. We exchanged smiles and phone numbers.  His name is Bep Kropy.