Friday, February 19, 2016

A Camel in the Desert...



The remains of a camel in the desert

Week Ending Feb 19th

Ding!  And that folks is the end of another week in south western Saudi Arabia.  I wish I could say that anything exciting has happened... that the village I live in was infiltrated with armed Houthi Rebels from Yemen and I am being ransomed off for a handsome price... or that one of the scud missiles shot down overhead landed right beside me... But no... nothing that interesting has happened in the past week.  I sleep, I cook, I clean, I work... rinse and repeat.  I continue to take over as head of the multi-national safety department at work, and that brings with it a certain need for diplomacy and tact; two qualities I not only possess in spades but attribute to being a middle child. 


Thursday was a storm day... with strong winds and visibility affected by sand... 

You can see the drifts of sand, sometimes coming across and even burying sections of the highway. Sand drifts are not like snow.. they feel more like concrete when we hit them.

This happened Thursday at the entrance to the plant... speed is always a factor, never mind vehicle maintenance and idiot drivers.




A real camel in the desert...


Nothing like a dip in the Red Sea...







Time on my Hands so Im playing with some marlinspike artwork...

I'm counting down two more weeks until I fly to the capital of Qatar for a couple nights.


There's a new pizza joint just up the highway so wa-hoooo! Its pizza night tonight!