Thursday, June 30, 2016

June 30 - Kevin of Arabia Update

June 30, 2016


Saudi Update

I worked 358.5 hours in June and continue to work despite an expired work visa (My Saudi visa expired June 16th); I will be headed back to Canada in the next few weeks for a fresh visa/passport.  My son Tyler has joined the team and is supervising safety at a demolition project on nightshift while I manage safety plant-wide on dayshift; my work day starts before 6 am and ends long after dark.

I have gone to Dubai twice in the last couple of months for my 30-day visa stamps and have enjoyed spending time on the water taxis and exploring the souks.

 My friends at Al Darb grinding Argan Oil
Modernization:  Use of synthetic ropes on a ten thousand year old process...

Argan oil

One of my friends in my room...

We have now entered sandstorm season... the wind blows hard each day obscuring visibility and filling every available orifice with sand. It's really not pleasant at all... Swimming is also not happening... the swells are 4 - 6' high in constant waves which crash on the beaches.






Dubai


The gold souk in Dubai...



Apparently I am collecting gold boat anchors now...



Dubai Spice Souk...