Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Day before the day before the Day of the Dead!


National Holiday November 2nd - Dia de Finados (Day of the Dead)
Hello Peeps!
As destiny would have it, tomorrow October 31st is a regional holiday in the state of Para, Northern Brazil and Friday is a National Holiday called Day of the Dead, and I have every intention of participating, from this side! The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. Traditions connected with the holiday include building private altars honoring the deceased using sugar skulls, marigolds as well as the favorite foods and beverages of the departed and visiting graves with these as gifts. They also leave possessions of the deceased.
With Saturday off, I should be able to take in the celebrations on Friday night.

Not too much else to report. I'll take advantage of this lull in excitment to post some random pics and hopefully by Saturday, I'll have a new adventure to report on.  :)

Local Kal Tire

Yours truly hitching a ride on the local taxi service to retrieve my bike, which was locked to a tree on the other end of town...
The Municipal Marjet I discovered in Ourilandia
Abacate avacados for sale...
Beans and corn for sale...
Corn...
Bananas by the bunch!
Roadside sales

Arivaldo's "Piella" dish he cooked last Sunday night...

 
 
 
Pineapples now in season!
 
Where I eat breakfast every morning... Granola and mangos!
 
The daily (day after day after day) selection...
 
Damn weeds (on the way between my room and breakfast every day)
 
My room, my wheels... :)