Thursday, September 27, 2012

Flying Red Ant on the hood of the truck in the morning...


Thursday September 27, 2012

My apologies for the lag time, I went to work on Tuesday and when I got back to my hotel, the router for the internet had packed it in and had to be removed and sent to town.  I was very happy to get home tonight to a connection!


So the holiday is over and I'm working through until Sunday October 7th, which is my next scheduled day off. I am getting up at 5:30 am, having breakfast and getting to the smelter by 6:30 am where I work until 6:30 or 7 pm.  We are demolishing the two largest electric furnaces in the world after only 11 months in service.  They both had catastrophic failures when the bricks expanded and did not contract, leaving large cracks for fumes to escape.  They were shut down suddenly, leaving gymnasium sized masses of cooled nickel 8' deep. We are removing the metal "salamander" and the bricks right down to the shell plates.


Today at lunch the plant allowed a couple of their workers to play music in the cafeteria. When I took this picture it was to the tune of "Lean on Me" which has been running through my head ever since!


After several weeks of shopping around, I bought a bike.  Its an avocado green "Monarch Barra Circular" which is a popular but old design down here. It weighs about 50 lbs with its welded steel frame, single speed and mechanical brakes (no cables!) that hardly work.  I think my adrenalin is destined to reach new heights as I pedal around a town with not a single traffic light.


And with that, I'm off to bed in preparation of another exciting day. Hi ho, hi  ho!  I'll leave you with the timeless words of Lean on Me so they run through your head too. Great song!

Lean on Me (Bill Withers)

Sometimes in our lives
We all have pain
We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's always tomorrow

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

Please swallow your pride
If I have things you need to borrow
For no one can fill those of your needs
That you won't let show

You just call on me brother, when you need a hand (Chorus)
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'd understand
We all need somebody to lean on

Second Verse
(Chorus)

If there is a load you have to bear
That you can't carry
I'm right up the road
I'll share your load
If you just call me
(Chorus)
Call me (if you need a friend)
Call me (call me)
Call me (if you need a friend)
Call me (if you ever need a friend)
Call me (call me)
Call me
Call me (if you need A friend)